What Do Hamburgers Have to Do with Geometry?
Nothing, but the translucent squares of paper used by restaurants to separate hamburger patties have a lot to do with it. Discovering Geometry author Michael Serra brings discovery through paper-folding activities to the classroom with his exciting book Patty Paper Geometry.
You may already use paper folding in your classroom. Maybe you tried waxed paper and found it hard to write on or used other paper that you couldn't see through.
Patty paper is perfect for geometric investigations:
- Manufactured in perfect squares
- Easy to write on
- Easy to see creases and traces on
It's a great way to explore geometry from a hands-on, tactile approach. And, best of all, it's probably the world's cheapest manipulative: A thousand sheets cost only about twelve dollars.
Patty Paper Geometry includes dozens of activities that:
- Foster cooperative learning
- Increase students' geometric vocabulary
- Motivate kids to read, write, and talk about geometry
Constructions are performed more accurately and geometric discoveries are made faster with patty paper. At the end of their investigations, students have discovered most of the properties of geometric figures studied in high school geometry courses. Use Patty Paper Geometry as a supplement to your geometry program or even as a major course of study.
Patty Paper Geometry is designed as two books.
- The first, a blackline-master Teacher Book, contains 12 chapters of open and guided investigations. Open investigations encourage students to explore their own methods of discovery, while guided investigations provide more direction to students or can be used as a teacher's guide. Each chapter includes many spiraled exercise sets, providing constant review.
- A separate Student Workbook is also available, containing all of the open investigations as well as some exercise sets.
- When ordering your copies of Patty Paper Geometry, be sure to stock up on plenty of patty paper. Each box contains 1,000 sheets of 6" x 6" heavyweight paper perfect for your in-class investigations.
- The Paper Paper Geometry Set includes the Teacher book and one box of Patty Paper.
Resellers: Please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org for volume rates.
Effective September 6, 2012, Patty Paper Geometry is published by Michael Serra dba Playing It Smart and is no longer associated with Key Curriculum Press.
Copyright © 2013 Michael Serra