What Do Hamburgers Have to Do with Geometry?
Nothing, but the translucent squares of paper used by restaurants to separate hamburger patties have a lot to do with it. Discovering Geometry author Michael Serra brings discovery through paper-folding activities to the classroom with his exciting book Patty Paper® Geometry.
Transformational Geometry (reflections, rotations, and translations) have become a significant part of the new geometry course in the Common Core State Standards. Constructions are performed more accurately and geometric discoveries are made faster with patty paper. At the end of their investigations, students have discovered most of the properties of geometric figures studied in high school geometry courses. Use Patty Paper® Geometry as a supplement to your geometry program or even as a major course of study. For video demonstrations using patty paper or for home school use, see our Discovering Geometry® Video Series.
PLEASE USE AMAZON FOR APO MILITARY AND INTERNATIONAL ORDERS.
You may already use paper folding in your classroom. Maybe you tried waxed paper and found it hard to write on or used other paper that you couldn't see through.
Patty paper is perfect for discovering geometric investigations:
- They are manufactured in convenient sized squares
- Easy to write on with pencils and felt tip markers
- The wax surface makes it easy to see creases
- Perfect for tracing geometric figures
It's a great way to explore geometry from a hands-on, tactile approach. And, best of all, it's probably the world's cheapest manipulative: A thousand sheets cost only about twelve dollars.
Patty Paper® Geometry includes dozens of activities that:
- Foster cooperative learning
- Increase students' geometric vocabulary
- Motivate kids to read, write, and talk about geometry
Patty Paper® Geometry is designed as two books.
- A PPG Teacher book, contains 12 chapters of open and guided investigations. Open investigations encourage students to explore their own methods of discovery, while guided investigations provide more direction to students or can be used as a teacher's guide. Each chapter includes many spiraled exercise sets, providing constant review. $32.95
- A set of twenty (20) separate PPG Student Workbooks is also available, 82 pages containing all of the open investigations as well as some exercise sets. $11.95 per book and only available in sets of 20. BEST PRICE FOR SCHOOL DISTRICTS INTERESTED IN LARGE QUANTITIES. CONTACT US DIRECTLY* additional freight charges may apply *
- When ordering your copies of Patty Paper® Geometry, be sure to stock up on plenty of patty paper. Each box contains 1,000 sheets of 6" x 6" heavyweight paper perfect for your in-class investigations. $11.95
- The PPG Set includes the Teacher book and one box of Patty Paper. $40.95
Resellers: Please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org for volume rates.
Effective September 6, 2012, Patty Paper Geometry is published by Angie and Michael Serra dba Playing It Smart and is no longer associated with Key Curriculum Press.
Copyright © 2017 Michael Serra